Wednesday, October 19, 2011

WARNING: This post is about vomit.

I'll just warn you now.  If you are not a mommy or don't have a strong stomach you probably have absolutely zero interest in reading this post.  But feel free to read on if you think you can handle it…

So, the stomach bug has been rearing it's ugly head in my house and I think it's (finally) gone.  Last Thursday morning I woke up to find that P-man had thrown up in his crib during the night sometime.  He hadn't made ONE peep, so we had no idea.  I decided to stay home from work that morning while Hubs took Princess to daycare and then went off to work.  P-man never threw up again, but he definitely didn't have an appetite and was extremely tired.  He spent most of the morning moving from my lap and to the the floor where he would curl up with his blanket and lay his head down.  
Loving on my sick baby.

So tired.

He napped on me for a little bit in the morning and then woke up, played for  a second and then wanted to lay back down.  He went down for a nap a little before noon.  Around the same time, Hubs came to switch out with me so I could go to the office to get a little bit of work done.  At 3:30, El Cubano said that P-man was still sleeping so I told him to go check on him.  When he walked in, he woke up.  But that is one loooong nap.  Poor baby.  :(  After his nap, P-man still didn't have much of an appetite, but he seemed more like himself.  I thought we were in the clear since Princess was still acting fine.  Not so fast…

Around 9:30 on Thursday night, we heard Princess wake up.   It is very rare that she wakes up in the night, but it has happened.  She will usually go back to sleep within like 3 minutes, so we thought that might be the case.  But that wasn't the case.  She kept calling for us, so Hubs goes in the nursery to find that she, too, had thrown up.  :(:(  (I immediately felt terrible for not running in there like a mom should have and proceeded to feel more guilty by the second.)  I moved P-man to a pack-n-play that was set up in the office so we could focus on cleaning up the nursery (yet again) and getting Princess cleaned up with a bath as well.  After getting everything and everyone cleaned up, Princess continued to throw up.  We decided she would need to sleep with us in order to be able to not have vomit everywhere in our house.  We layered our bed with towels and had plastic bags nearby to grab when we heard her waking up/coughing, etc.  By 3am, it seemed she finally had everything out of her system and she was able to go to sleep for a solid 3 hours or so. 
After being up all night, all seemed good.

She woke up the next morning seemingly very normal.  P-man woke up himself as well, and I thought, "Whew!  We are out of the woods.  We can still make our plans for the weekend."  (Our plans were to attend my 10-year high school reunion in Ruston with the kids.)  We gave the kids a little bread to eat around 7 and decided we would wait a while to let it settle in their stomachs to make sure they were feeling better.  Around 10, everyone still seemed fine, so we loaded up the car and got going.  Ten minutes later, disaster struck.  Princess.Vomit.Everywhere.Car.  My poor baby was still sick.  We pulled over and tried to clean it up as much as we possibly could until we got back home.  I decided right then, "Ok… I can't go to my reunion.  The kids are still sick.  It's just too much.  I'm not going."  Hubs was insistent that I should go.  He said that he would stay back with the kids and that I should go to Ruston.  To which I said, "No. No.  That's too much.  I should be here with you."  yada, yada.  He insisted more that I go.  So, in the end I decided to take P-man to Ruston with me and Hubs and Princess would stay behind.
After getting sick in the car.  :(

I was really sad to leave them behind.  It was the first trip that either of the kids' have been without their womb-mate.  A few hours here and there, yes.  But never overnight.  And certainly not for a weekend.  And it was evident to me that Bubba missed his Sissy.  He would go looking for her and ask, "Sissy??"  It was sweet and sad at the same time, but I also think it was good for us to have some one on one time together.  Gratefully, Princess did not get sick again for the rest of the weekend, but I know it was the right decision to leave her behind.

Ok, I'm sick of talking about vomit.

Much love,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment