Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Amish Project

Lately, Hubs and I have just felt WAY overwhelmed with all the distractions in our lives.  I mean, we are constantly being pulled in a million ways, by a million people, and a million things.  Our friend Overachiever Runner (this name is in jest, folks.  I'm using this name because I ADMIRE him and am jealous that he can run 26.2 miles.  I cannot, so therefore I make fun of him.  Score!)...  so anyway... Overachiever Runner posted this article on the facebook about the Amish Project.  And it got Cubano and I to thinking... You can read it here.

Hubs and I thought this would be a good challenge for us to try.  Starting tomorrow, we are going Amish for one week.  We are going to have to do a little abbreviated version because I just started a job and I don't think now would be the time to ask for 90 days off from checking my email.  And yes, I'm still going to wear make-up and drive my car.  This is mainly about cutting out TV, computer and cell phones from our lives.
Our rules are that, with the exception of work, we will have no technology in our lives for a week.  So that means no TV, internet, texting, emailing, etc.  We aren't disconnecting our phones or anything so I know this is going to be tough with the temptation still at our fingertips.  We decided that we could still take phone calls if we thought they were REALLY necessary, but otherwise, no talking on the phone.  If you're reading this, I'm hoping that you'll help me by NOT texting, calling, or emailing me this week.  If you want to get in touch with me, you will have to write me a letter via snail mail, or come to my house.  Both of which, I welcome.  I know that this isn't going to be easy, but that's the point.  We've had quite a few people ask us why we are doing this.  And there isn't a "purpose" of it, except to focus our energies and time elsewhere.  To have actual conversations with each other, our kids, and other persons who pop by our home to see us.  ;)  To actually have family play time without looking at my phone when it buzzes because I got an email.

I will be keeping notes for this next week and will blog about our experience once it's complete.  Pray for us!

Much love,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment