Friday, November 18, 2011

Namaste yo

I have been seriously practicing yoga now for about 4 and a half years.  I tried it once in college I think, but it was with an instructor that wasn't very good and at the time I didn't really know the difference.  When Hubs and I moved to Dallas and joined a gym, I tried the yoga class at the gym.  I've been pracicing ever since!  I think a lot of the reason that I fell so in love with yoga was the instructor that taught my class.  It  makes a HUGE difference when learning to have a really good instructor.  One that challenges you and pushes your boudaries, but doesn't make you feel like a failure when you try and can't do something.  The instructor that I go to is awesome.  She is constantly pushing me to the next level, and I have gotten SO much stronger from taking her class.  Not only is every instructor different, but there are many different types of yoga.  If you tried it once and didn't like it, go to a different class/gym/ studio/instructor and see if that makes any difference.
People that have never tried yoga often have mixed feelings about it.  When I encourage people to take yoga, I often get the response of, "I don't do yoga.  I like to sweat when I work out."
Believe me… I sweat when I do yoga.  It is literally like lifting weights for the entire class… only your body is your weight.  I have been seriously working on some advanced poses.  These are a few of my favorites to practice:
(Scissors legs/Flying) Side Crow Pose

Running Man Pose

Sage pose

Bird of Paradise pose

(Just to be clear, none of those pictures are of me.  But maybe one day I'll post some of my poses...)

They don't call it a "practice" for nothing... You are constantly practicing to make your pose better/more advanced.  And these are a few poses that I'm trying to get the hang of:

King Pigeon pose.  I don't quiiiiite have the flexibility to do this one yet.  I can do part of it, but not this far...

Peacock Pose.  Can't quite get the balance right on this one yet...
(Supported) Headstand

What about you?  Have you tried yoga??  What poses are you working on??

Much love,
E





No comments:

Post a Comment