Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Freak Out Mode - Part One

Sunday was November 13th.  It's one of those dates that I will forever remember…

Back in July of 2009, Hubs and I were ecstatic to learn that we were expecting.  And not only were we "just" expecting, but we were expecting twins.  We had just been through two grueling cycles of IVF (a journey that I'll share another day…) and were more than excited to have two bundles of joy on the way.  For the most part, my pregnancy was "normal."  I felt sick for most of the first trimester, although I never actually threw up.  I was extremely tired for all of the first trimester and well into the second.  The only ailment that really bothered me a lot was tailbone pain.  And I am NOT a wuss.  But seriously, having your butt hurt so bad that it feels like it will snap in two results in anything but 'pregnancy glow.'  But I figured there could be worse things, so I stuck with trusty Tylenol (which did nothing) and sat on a pillow/donut (which did nothing) and went on about my day.  On Tuesday, November 10th, Hubs and I went to my OB Dr. Hays for my 25 week appointment.  Because we were having twins, my doctor did a sonogram at each doctor's visit to make sure that they got each babies' heartbeat and weight.  After all the measuring of fetuses, we saw the doctor.  She said that everything was looking good, except that the babies' weights were slightly "off."  When having twins, the standard rule-of-thumb is that the doctor doesn't want the difference between their weights to be more than 20%.  More than that, and one baby could be taking all of the nutrients, leaving on baby without any.  Our babies were at a 18% difference, and while she really didn't think there was any need for concern, she wanted me to get checked out anyway.  She refered me to a Perinatologist / Maternal Fetal Medicine Clinic, which are doctors that specialize in high-risk pregnancies.  She told me to call them and schedule an appointment for that week.  We left Dr. Hays' office not really thinking anything of her referral… mainly because Dr. Hays herself didn't think there was anything to really be concerned with but that it was more of a "just to be safe" measure.  I called Maternal Fetal Medicine to schedule and appointment fot that week (as directed) and the receptionist said that I could come in on the following Monday.  I told her that Dr. Hays had said that she wanted me to come in that same week.  So the receptionist said she could squeeze me on Friday afternoon at 4:15.  Friday, the 13th.

We went in for our appointment, the Perinatologist Dr. Yost did the sonogram and measurements, etc.  She said that everything looked fine with the babies… great, in fact.  There was nothing to cause concern, including the babies' weights.  She then asks me if Dr. Hays checked my cervix at my last appointment.  I said no, and she said, "Well, let me check you just to be safe."  She measures and then starts asking questions…
"Have you had any contractions?" 
"Are you feeling any tighting?"
"No cramping or anything at all?"
"No."  Lady, I think I would notice if I was having contractions.

She then tells me that my cervix has thinning way out.  Too much for my gestation.  I hadn't dilated yet, but if my cervix continued to thin like it was, then I very well could start dilating.  She tells me that she is calling Dr. Hays to let her know what was going on and to see what she wanted to do with me.  I was like, "What do you mean… 'do with me'?"  And her response is, "Well she will probably want to admit you to the hospital…" 

Ummm, what?!?!?!?!?!  I'm 25 weeks!

After talking to Dr. Hays, Dr. Yost then tells me that I need to go across the street to the hospital and check in at Labor and Delivery.  She would be calling me to tell them I am coming…

Enter freak out mode…

Hubs began asking all the right questions like, "what are they going to do?"  and "How long will she be there?" 
Dr. Yost is answering his questions with "hook her up to monitors to see if she is having contractions.  If she is, then there are a few different things that can be tried to stop the contractions.  They will have to make that decision once she is admitted.  But usually in this case if they can stop the contractions, then she will be on bed rest until around 34 or 35 weeks.
That's when I snapped back to reality.  For a second, I was there, but not really because I'm I'm still in freak out mode and I don't know how to process all this information.   I mean, I'm 25 weeks pregnant and I'm about to go to the hospital and check in to Labor and Delivery.  This is NOT how this was supposed to go.  We have NOTHING in the nursery for cryin' out loud!

We left Dr. Yost's office and headed for the hospital.  I called my sister and immediately began crying.  I had no idea what to expect when I got to the hospital.  I just knew that it couldn't have been a good thing for the doctor to be admitting me to the hospital at only 25 weeks gestation...

No comments:

Post a Comment