Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thanks! Gracias! Danke! Merci! Spasiba!


4th of July.  Independence Day.  The day we celebrate our freedom as Americans with 100+ degree weather and a few fireworks in the hopes that no one has a heat stroke or gets a sparkler in the eye.  I think of parades, fireworks, hot dogs and homemade ice cream, and people dressed as an American flag.  All for the love of this country.  But mostly, I think of our military.  You often hear the term serving when speaking of the military.  “My son is serving in the army.”  Check out some of the definitions of the word serve.
Serve
–verb
to act as a servant.
to be in the service of; work for.
to be useful or of service to; help.
to work actively for
to have a use; function

The men and women serving in our military are doing so because they feel that it is their calling to do this act of service for their country.  Every single military person I have met has been so selfless and humble.  A servant’s heart, for sure.  I am forever indebted to the men and women who have served, are currently serving, and those that will serve in the future.  They have given us the freedoms that most of us take for granted without so much as asking for a “thank you”.  I’m sending all of you a big, fat thank you for all that you do for me, my family, and our country.  And to the families of the servicemen and women: a big, fat thank you to you too.  Because being a child, wife, husband, mom, father (and any other relation) to a service person is an abundant sacrifice too. 
My sister is married to an Air Force man, who was recently promoted to Major.  Proud doesn’t really begin to describe how I feel about their service.  But, hey, it’s a start.  At the young age of 24, the newlyweds packed up their entire life and moved across the country – from Louisiana to California – where they knew not a soul.  10 years and twin-boys later, they are still serving.  A big shout out to you four.  Major, I love ya like my own brother.  I don't have a "real" brother, but if I did, I would pray that he'd be just like you.
The House of Hollis.  Congrats, Major!

On a side note, I won’t be blogging for a few days for I am going to middle-of-nowhere, Kansas to celebrate the 4th.  My dad, step mom, lil sis, My crew (me, hubs, and bambinos), and House of Hollis (big sis, BIL, and twin nephews) are all headed to my dad’s hunting camp.  Which means no internet.  Which means no blogging.  Which means making my kids run around outside in the aforementioned 100+ degree heat.  Here’s hoping no one has a heat stroke!


Have a Happy (and safe) 4th of July!

Much love,
E

1 comment:

  1. Kamp Kansas..... Very peaceful, but not sure how yall are gonna do it in the heat. We went during Thanksgiving and definitely had a blast! I know yall are loving just being together!

    ReplyDelete